August 2

Term 2 Unit Goal Reflection

Section 1

In term 2 we had done a project based on the animal/plant you have chosen our plant was the Boab Tree. I was working with Maya for the project; overall I think we had done well. What we had in our project was a type of billboard thing with all the information on it. Our project was split into 3 different parts: Adaptations, habitat and experiment. The adaptations part was the biggest with all of the Boab Trees adaptations such as it having spongy and shiny bark. The next part is the habitat: this was where the Boab Tree lived. Finally the experiment, this was where we used a model to conduct an experiment to show how one of the adaptations work.

3 Things I Found Interesting

1. One of my favourite facts about this project was that the Boab Tree had shiny and spongy bark. What this does is that the shiny bark reflects sunlight of the tree to keep it cool and stop animals from climbing it. But the spongy bark sucks up water that stores it in the caudex, a caudex is when a trees trunk swells or thickens, but if it rains then the hand shaped leaves catch the water and guides it to their u like stems that guides that to the spongy bark that soon sucks up all the water.
  2. Adding onto the last one all the water stored in the caudex will get dirty overtime but the Boab Tree takes care of this by using the preservatives in its WOOD that keeps all of the water clean. I find this interesting because first of all there preservatives in the wood but how do they stay in the wood, can you answer that for me?
  3. The Boab nut/fruit may not seem like much but it’s a very important part of the Boabs life, because that is how it reproduces. If you didn’t already know the Boab Tree goes through dormancy, but its fruit stays on through dormancy this makes its fruit one of the on food around so when the fruit falls of all the animals want to eat it so they do. The seeds somehow don’t get digested and when the animal disposes of its waste the seeds are still whole inside of its feces this is good because it has manure and plenty of space to grow in which is also good since the Boab Tree can range up to 10-15 metres in height and a 5 metre diameter! So this how it reproduces and it’s a good way to do so because all of them are spread out.

2 Understanding I now have

1. From finding out nearly all the Boab Trees adaptations above I linked them all and told you how they could have all worked together (I worked that out) and here it is again.  The spongy bark sucks up water that stores it in the caudex, a caudex is when a trees trunk swells or thickens, but if it rains then the hand shaped leaves catch the water and guides it to their u like stems that guides that to the spongy bark that soon sucks up all the water and to keep the water fresh it has preservatives in its wood.
  2. Also I found out that the Boab tree holds onto its nuts during dormancy to be the only food source around. Lastly the Boab Tree has flowers that open in the evening to get pollinated by: Fruit Bats, Moths, ect. I noticed that all of these animals come out at night so figured out that, that is the reason the flower opens in the evening.

2 Wonders I Still Have

• The first wonder I have is how they boab tree keeps the preservatives in its wood and also linking to that does the Boab Tree store the water in its spongy bark when it’s not hollow (the Boab Tree can be hollow) or does it store pure water in its caudex?

Section 2

What are the most important things I have learnt?

During this term I have learnt a lot of things, but the most important things are probably how surface area affects cooling and also how surface area affects water retention. I chose these because we had to refer a lot to these lessons throughout the term because it’s obviously a big thing for survival in the desert since that you need to keep cool and preserve water also I have learnt a lot of new words and heaps of adaptation of animals/plants.

How did I learn it?

I learnt all of the things throughout: lessons, research, class, friends, presentations and excursions/incursions. With the lessons the structure we use is GANAG.

G-goal

A-Accessing Prior Knowledge

N-New Information

A-Application

G-Goal Reflection

Also we had to present our work at the end of the term and that’s also where I learnt a lot of information from other animals/plants.

What I’m going to do with what I’ve learnt

What I learnt this term I’m probably going to us it as general knowledge and use it if I ever decide to do science as a subject but if not I will categorize it into general knowledge and just bring it up when I need to.

Refer to unit goals

One of the unit goals (the class all had this one) was: I can identify the structural/behavioural adaptations of desert animals/plants and how they help it survive in their environment. I think I can do this well since I know a lot of desert animal adaptations and I remember the purpose for it but if I don’t I might be able to make up a pretty close reason for it. But overall I have learnt a lot this term and know a lot more than I did a term ago.

Summary

Throughout this reflection I have told you about the Boab Trees adaptations, how much I have learn, how I learnt it, the most important things I have learnt and what I’m going to do with what I learnt. But throughout section 1 and 2 this is what I have learnt that I told you: the adaptations of a boab tree, what I’m going to do with what I’m going to do with what I learnt, things I don’t know about and things that I found an explanation for.

Posted August 2, 2015 by anton2013 in category 2015, Reflections, Schoolwork