March 16

BTN Too Loud

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4191199.htm

We learn how sound can affect our hearing and also about decibels.

The world health organisation warns that 1.1 billion people aged 12-35 need to turn down the volume that they hear. Especially music, because you may suffer permanent hearing loss or even can make you deaf, due to high volume sounds entering your ear. Another understanding that I have is that a full volumed ear phone can damage fragile parts of your ear which will result in hearing loss which brings me to decibels (dB). A whisper is 30 decibels, a normal conversation 60, radio 75, heavy traffic 85, motorcycle 100, chainsaw 110, top volumed ear phone 110 and concerts can reach up to 130 decibels. The world health organisation says that sound over 85 decibels may cause some problems. But over 100 decibels you should only listen to for 15 minutes a day. But for people with jobs that include sounds over 100 decibels are recommended to wear protection. Sound waves are funnelled into the inner ear which makes bones vibrate and move in patterns that send a signal to the brain and you hear the noise. This all happens in an extremely fast time. This leads to my question: Can sound shatter the bones in your ear?

Posted March 16, 2015 by anton2013 in category 2015, BTN, Schoolwork